Monday, August 16, 2010

A Whole Lotta Bakin' Going On.....

This weekend I decided to try my hand at baking with yeast again.  I think the last yeast-based bread I made was around Christmas time, and we had all the ingredients in the house, so I figured....why not?!

I made a loaf of challah bread from the Joy of Breakfast.  I have to say, it turned out even more beautiful than I thought!!!  It did, however, take several different rises and an all day process to turn out the way it did. :) William toasted some of it and used some raspberry preserves, and then brought it over to his dad's for sandwich bread...by the time we left, there wasn't much remaining, so I think it's a pretty good indication it was a hit.

I also baked a maple pecan pie out of the new pie cookbook with some pecans I received, and some Cakey Chocolate Chip Cookies for Tristan as payment for house-sitting (paying kids in baked goods is AWESOME!).  Plus, Friday I baked Martha's Ne Plus Ultra cookies.  I finally broke down and bought some beans to use as pie weights for the partially pre-baked crust the pie called for....

I couldn't believe it myself.....I rolled out a perfect circle....er...almost. :)  This pie crust is a little different than my Grandma's...this one uses half butter and half shortening for its source of fat. 

Alright...off to the gym I go!

No comments:

Post a Comment