Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Where, o where....

So...I realize it's been a while since I last wrote.  A lot has been going on in my life, and I'm kind of at a crossroads right now. 

I started school in August, and loved it immediately.  I know that it's going to help me pursue my passion to become a pastry chef.  The week before I started classes, however, I received an email about a possible job opportunity in Texas, working for a supplement company.  Not believing that my background and skill set would match what they were looking for, I submitted my resume.  I didn't hear anything for several weeks, and then things started going full-speed ahead.  I had a phone interview on a Friday, flew to Chicago for a face to face the following Thursday, and received a job offer immediately after my interview.  I took the weekend to think about it and decided that it was an opportunity I couldn't pass up. 

From there, I flew to the Olympia the last Thursday in September...home on Saturday for Felix and Oscar's graduation from puppy kindergarten on Sunday, and back to Chicago Sunday night for training Monday and Tuesday (which meant I missed Intro to Foods and Sanitation and Safety).  Back Tuesday night, home until Sunday afternoon again, and then flew back to Chicago for another three days of training, which brings me here, to a lovely hotel about 15 minutes from the office.  The time alone has given me ample opportunity to think about what it is I want out of my life, and I'm beginning to realize that there's more to life than money and career advancement.

If anyone out there is reading this....what are your thoughts?  I often feel guilty because one of my biggest goals is to be an amazing wife and pastry chef...but that leaves my husband being the sole income in the home, and I feel terribly about not contributing financially.  This is a conversation we have had often, and I'm fortunate that he puts up with the constant worrying that keeps me up at night, and my tummy churning. 

This feels a little bit "Dear Diary" -ish, if I'm being completely honest.  Is it not lofty enough of a goal to want to go to school and eventually own a business where I supply local restaurants?  I mean, right now I'm not earning anything, but a lot of people I'm going to school with are in the same boat.  Why is it not good enough for me?!  Ugh.  Stomachache, go away.

2 comments:

  1. Ryan, think of your time in school as an investment that will pay off later (and contribute to the family income then). Your goals are admirable, and you have the support of your husband and family and friends! I think that you have to follow your heart on this--do what it takes to be the chef and wife that you want to be. Because you are right: life isn't about "money and career advancement." It's about relationships and the day-to-day stuff that fills your heart with joy. It's about discovering the gifts that God has given you and using them to honor Him.

    You've seen Chariots of Fire, right? Do you remember what Eric Liddell said to his sister when she was afraid that if he won a gold medal, he wouldn't go to China as a missionary? "I believe God made me for a purpose, but he also made me fast. And when I run I feel His pleasure."

    You don't need to impress anybody with career or money. That's all just dust. Do what God calls you to do. You'll be happy, and so will He!

    Love,
    Patsy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here's the clip: http://danziebarth.blogspot.com/2008/01/and-when-i-run-i-feel-his-pleasure.html. I love that movie!

    ReplyDelete